1. I love that super creamy imported yogurt—but not at $7 per container. Buy plain yogurt and strain it yourself. Cost: $2.99.
2. Why buy overpriced microwave popcorn when you can throw some kernels in a paper bag and zap it. Cost: pennies.
3. Peel & freeze a bunch of bananas. When you’re craving soft serve, whirl one up in the blender and top with a spoonful of chocolate chips (Note from SH: if you’re avoiding sugar, try topping with raisins or flax seeds). Cost: 25¢.
4. Spare yourself the expense (and fat) of certain fast-food breakfasts by scrambling an egg in a mug, nuking it, and slipping it into a pita. Cost: 50¢, maybe.
5. Make insta-soup from wilted veggies and a Parmesan rind. Throw in the carcass of a picked-over roasted chicken and Grandma will applaud. Cost: buck.
6. Why buy pricey pre-frozen fruit? Just wash, bag, and freeze your own for smoothies, yogurts, muffins, and breads. Cost: priceless!
If you have suggestions for cost-saving ideas, please list them in the Comments section or sending them to [email protected]